- What is the European Court of Justice Gender Directive ruling?
The Gender Directive is a European Directive which aims to ensure equality for both men and women in the access to and supply of goods and services. From 21st December 2012, gender will no longer be taken into consideration when calculating insurance premiums or when offering insurance benefits.
- When do these changes come into effect?
The changes take effect from 21st December 2012.
- What will this mean?
Insurers have traditionally used gender in the calculation of motor insurance premiums. Gender is just one of many factors used to assess risk. Based on statistical performance, women generally benefitted from lower premiums than men reflecting lower risk. From the 21st December insurers will no longer be able to use gender to differentiate in the pricing of risk between men and women. As a result, women’s premiums are likely to increase and men may see some reduction in premium.
- I have an existing policy; do I need to do anything now?
No, you don’t need to do anything. We will send you your renewal notice as normal. If your renewal date falls after 20th December, gender will not have a bearing on the quote you receive.
- Will my motor insurance premiums increase/decrease as a result of the gender neutral pricing?
Gender is one of the rating factors that insurers have used to calculate motor insurance premiums in the past. Removing gender as a rating factor is likely to mean cheaper prices for some, and price increases for others. We will continue to monitor our pricing in order to provide competitive rates.
- I have received my renewal premium and my rate has increased, can I do anything to reduce my premium?
You may wish to consider reviewing the details of your quote to ensure you are availing of all relevant discounts and that the vehicle and driver details you have provided are accurate e.g. vehicle value, choice of cover, additional covers such as no claims discount protection, additional drivers or windscreen cover. You can contact us on 1890 89 1890 and one of our representatives will be happy to assist you in any enquiries you may have.
- I currently pay by direct debit. Will my payments change after the 21st December?
No your payments will remain the same until renewal unless you make a change to your policy that affects the premium.
- If I get a quote before 21st December, will you give me the same price after this change comes into effect?
Any quote we provide is valid until the expiry date advised to you at the time. Once a quote has expired a new quote will be provided and the premium may change.
- How will this legislation affect changes I make to my policy throughout the insurance year?
Any changes you make to your policy will be priced using the same rating factors that applied when you took out the policy. So if you bought a policy from 21st December onwards that was gender neutral, all subsequent changes to it will be priced on a gender neutral basis. On the other hand if your policy was taken out before 21st December then any changes won't be gender neutral.
- Which types of insurance policies will be affected?
The ruling will affect any insurance policy where gender is considered when calculating the premium. This will affect our motor insurance policies.
- Will all providers take the same approach?
All motor insurers are required to comply with the EU Directive on gender neutral rating, however we cannot advise on what other insurance providers will do. We will aim to be competitive with the quotes we provide.
- Why do some insurers still ask what gender I am?
As long as insurers do not price or base benefits on gender, insurers will still be allowed to ask if you are male or female. Insurers continue to collect this information for internal purposes such as reinsurance and claims reserves.