Junior Data Scientist
Job Title: Junior Data Scientist
Department: Actuarial - Advanced Analytics
Reports: Predictive Analytics Manager
As Liberty Ireland (LI) builds its analytical capability this Data Scientist role will leverage the large Data Scientist community in our US business, our team in Belfast, as well as our actuarial team in Dublin to develop their own skills and to deploy best practice approaches to data management and advanced analytics. The Junior Data Scientist will provide predictive modelling and advanced analytics services to key functions across the organisation.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities
- Apply sophisticated, cutting-edge statistical techniques to very large data sets in the course of predictive modelling and various analytical projects. Examples of the techniques include Decision Trees, Clustering, GLM, Text analytics, OCR, Image recognition
- Build complex tools and analytical models for use by business operations
- Produce meaningful observations and recommendations through synthesizing data from internal and external sources. (E.g. economic, weather, customer surveys, social media activity, etc.)
- Present findings / recommendations to analytics peers and/or management
- Carry out predictive modelling and other analyses to solve business problems and enhance strategic goals
- Perform data preparation steps, including extraction of target data from multiple databases, integration of multiple datasets, and creation of derived variables, application of business rules, and quality control checks
- Collaborate with other advanced analytics staff to share best practices in predictive modelling and build the advanced analytics community
- Maintain and improve previously developed models, utilising the software development life cycle
- Receive guidance and development opportunities from experienced data scientists within the team
- Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Computer Science, Statistics, Actuarial or another quantitative field
- Proven applied business / non-academic experience desirable, however entry level candidates are encouraged to apply
- Master’s degree in quantitative subject desirable but not required
Experience & Knowledge
- Experience / understanding of using statistical techniques
- Identification of relevant statistical techniques for addressing various problems.
- Confident in the integration and cleansing of multiple data sources, utilising tools such as Alteryx, Informatica, SSIS, Python, Talend
- Knowledge of machine learning methodologies and algorithms, e.g. Random Forest, Neural Networks, K-means clustering, etc.
- Previous experience using Amazon Web Service (AWS) is highly desirable
- Ability to adapt to evolving techniques and changing business challenges
- Actively utilise code collaboration and versioning tools
- Ability to find creative solutions to problems
- Able to collect, analyse and challenge technical information
- Distils complex quantitative and qualitative information into key facts
- Effective communicator with the ability to generate and present insights in a way that can be clearly understood by both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to clearly link analytical output to the business solution
- Good interpersonal skills, works closely with other individuals/teams to achieve goals
- Seeks to maximise the benefits of a team focussed organisation and supports collaboration
- Highly motivated to deliver consistent high performance
Liberty Insurance is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you would like to apply for any of the above positions please submit your CV to email@example.com
Alternatively, if you require further information on this vacancy, please contact our
Human Resources Department on +353 (0)1 553 4060.