Safety tips to help you have a safe and happy Christmas
Whether you’re all set or haven’t even started your Christmas shopping, there’s no denying that Christmas is upon us. To help you have a safe and happy Christmas at home and on the roads this year, here's our 12 Safety Tips of Christmas in full.
1. Planning on a long drive? Get there safely and stay off your phone while driving.
2. Driving home for Christmas? Make sure you pull over and rest if you’re tired.
3. Don’t just pack presents. Pack an emergency kit too. Check out ‘20 essentials to keep in your car’ here.
4. For a stress free Christmas journey plan your route in advance. This means you don’t have to rely on road signs and you’ll have alternative routes in mind in case of bad conditions.
5. Secure your tree carefully when driving it home. Not only will this mean a safer trip, it also means you get your tree home in one piece.
6. This Christmas give the gift of being the designated driver. With more nights out and the usual rush for taxis, it’s a good idea to have a designated driver for any night out.
7. Going out? Christmas is a prime time for burglaries, so don’t make it easy for thieves to get in to your home. Check your alarm and lock your doors before you leave.
8. A clean chimney means a safer cosy Christmas fire. And you never know who might need to come down there!
9. Not all fairy lights are created equal. Check if your lights are EU approved, it should say so on the box. If not, consider replacing your lights and make sure that they conform with EU safety standards.
10. Don’t let burst pipes ruin Christmas. Insulate your pipes or set your heating to a timer if you plan on going away.
11. Use a light timer to make it look like you’re home. Keep burglars at bay by with timed lights. Ask a neighbor to check on our house if you’re away.
12. Keep travel plans off social media. Burglars often check social media to scope out empty houses, so don’t make it public knowledge that you’ll be away.
Remember, accidents can happen anytime, even at Christmas but we’re here to help 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Just call our Motor and Home Claims Helpline on 1850 85 85 30. If possible, have your car insurance or home insurance policy number to hand and we’ll take care of the rest.
And of course, have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!