How to find out if your Liberty Insurance policy covers you to drive someone else’s vehicle.
From time to time, you might need to drive someone else’s car. Maybe your own car is in for an NCT, in the garage for repair, or just isn’t big enough to bring all your Swedish furniture purchases home at once. At Liberty Insurance, we want to make your life easier, which is why we offer a policy extension that lets you drive other vehicles. That’s insurance the way it should be.
How can I tell if I’m covered to drive other vehicles?
The first thing to do is to check your Certificate of Insurance, which will tell you if you are covered to drive other vehicles.
It’s important to note that if this extension is included as part of your policy, you’ll only have third party cover when driving a private motor car that you have borrowed temporarily.
There are also certain criteria that must be met in order to ensure you are covered:
- The use of the vehicle is covered in the Certificate of Insurance
- You have the owner’s permission to drive the vehicle
- The vehicle is not owned by you or your employer or hired to you or your employer under a hire-purchase or lease agreement
- You currently hold a full European Union (EU) licence
- Cover is not provided by any other insurance
- The vehicle is roadworthy
- It is a private passenger vehicle
- You still have your vehicle and it has not been damaged beyond cost-effective repair
- Your occupation is not restricted by our acceptance criteria
If these criteria have been met, you’re now free to hop in to your friend/neighbour/mum’s car and drive wherever you need to go.
What vehicles are not covered?
Not every vehicle is covered under this extension. If you need to drive any of the following, you’ll need to talk to us about arranging alternative insurance;
- Jeep-type vehicles with no seats in the back
- Vans adapted to carry passengers
Still not sure if you’re covered?
If you have any doubts about whether or not your policy includes driving other vehicles, please get in touch and we’ll let you know for sure. You can call us on 1890 89 1890, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.