Hands up who’s going to Slane this weekend? It’s going to be epic, with the Foo Fighters, The Kaiser Chiefs, Hozier and The Strypes all on the bill. So if you’re planning on driving there, here are a few tips to make sure you get there safely and on time.
- Before setting off, make sure your car is in tip-top condition and that includes checking your oil, water and fuel levels and your tyre pressure.
- Keep an eye on the weather – if it’s going to rain, plan for a longer journey time.
- In case of emergency or breakdown, pack the following essentials: first aid kit, water bottles and sun cream.
- Don’t overload the vehicle - squeezing in more passengers than your car can handle can have a dangerous effect on its handling and breaking.
- Ahead of the drive, make sure you get enough sleep so you’re alert and focused on the road.
- If you begin to feel sleepy, pull over and take a break – grab a snack, get some fresh air and stretch your legs. And if you need to, take a quick nap.
- If you can, share the driving with one of your passengers and if not, ask them to stay awake and keep you company.
- If you want to change the music or programme your sat nav, get your passengers to do it for you, otherwise pull over to do it safely.
- Think about packing a spade, in case of rain and you need to dig your car out of the mud – although it’s reassuring to know that there is a free on-site car tow and jump start service.
- If you’ve got a really long drive home, consider camping/hotel/B&B options.
It’s going to be busy on all roads leading to and from Slane, but you can keep an eye on any traffic news by following @gardatraffic – check out their traffic management plan here. And as well as driving safely, enjoy the gig and have a great time!