Am I insured to drive other vehicles?


Check your Certificate of Insurance to see if you are covered to drive other cars. If so, the policyholder will have third party only cover to drive other private motor cars that are temporarily borrowed, under the following conditions:

  • the vehicle is not owned by you or your employer or hired to you or them under a hire-purchase or lease agreement;
  • you currently hold a full European Union (EU) licence;
  • the use of the vehicle is covered in the Certificate of Insurance;
  • cover is not provided by any other insurance;
  • you have the owner’s permission to drive the vehicle;
  • the vehicle is in a roadworthy condition;
  • you still have your vehicle and it has not been damaged beyond cost-effective repair; and
  • your occupation is not restricted by our acceptance criteria.

This extension applies while being driven in Ireland or the UK, and only to private passenger vehicles.

It does not include:

  • vans;
  • car-vans;
  • jeep-type vehicles with no seats in the back; or
  • vans adapted to carry passengers.

For full details please refer to section two of the policy booklet.

If you are in any doubt as to whether the benefit applies to your policy, please contact us on 1890 89 1890, or e-mail


No – there is no Third Party Extension on a Fleet Policy with Liberty Insurance.

Get the contact information for the right team